Saturday, August 25, 2007

Turn It Up!



Turn it up!

Sharla and I hear that outburst from the backseat on nearly every ride in the car.
We don’t even consciously know the radio is on, as we routinely turn it way down instead of off. Carson’s hearing is very acute and recognizes songs from the first few notes. ( I wish “Name That Tune” was still on the air…maybe we could cash in!)
He has an ear for the "oldies" as that is the music Sharla listens to in the car. He also picks up songs from the movies he watches as they use the same songs. He instantly connects the song to the movie such as: "that song is from Shrek or that one is from Napoleon(Dynamite).

He amazed us last winter while in a coffee shop in Lexington. We were sipping a coffee and Carson was having a chocolate milk, when he said "springtime", I said"what"? He replied again"springtime". I was at a loss and Sharla had no idea what it was all about. Then it hit me! I caught the faint strains of music playing softly in the background....Vivaldi's Spring. I said "how do know that song? He answered "Little Einstein's"...a show he watches occasionally in the mornings. They introduce art and classical music to preschoolers. So...not many three year olds can pick out a piece of classical music, and that still boggles my mind.

While I consider myself am musically inept, I enjoy music however I’ve never been one to have to always have a soundtrack playing in the background of my daily life. I have always believed that having an “ear” for music is a gift and something that I’ll never comprehend. . I can recognize some tunes, even sing a few bars, but as far as remembering a whole song, apart from a few hymns and regularly sung worship songs, I definitely don’t have the gift and I stand amazed at anyone that can play an instrument or sing.

Since Carson was about one, he has moved to the beat! He loves the praise band at church and alternates between strumming the “air guitar’ and imaginary "drumset" all the while balancing on the back of the pew with my arm around his waist.

He still sings the songs from last years Vacation Bible School Arctic Edge along with his favorite contemporary worship song"Trading My Sorrows". As the psalmist David said in Psalm 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

However tonight he was belting out "Evil Woman" and "Straight Up"as they played on the radio, not too much praise there, but he sure can carry a tune!

As for the dancing that goes with the music......he has the moves to go with it too... too bad Disney doesn't have Preschool Musical in the works!!....but I'll save that for a later post!

No comments: