Friday, December 7, 2007

ICE FISHING IN KENTUCKY




Bummer!
I had a little extra time on my hands this morning and as I spent yesterday at work daydreaming about doing a little trout fishing, I bundled up and gathered up a couple of rods and my small tackle pack from the shed.
Now, I wasn’t going to get to fish for trout this morning as that trip requires a two hour drive to the Red River Gorge. I was merely going two miles to my hotspot pond and drown some minnows for bass and crappie. My pal ‘Woodsy’ has a great fishin’ hole that is full of pole bendin’ action, and is just close enough that I can drop in for a few minutes to a few hours and not have to spend a lot of time on the road.
I scraped two bucks together from the loose change in my cup holder and headed for the bait shop. When I got there the cupboard was bare!( in reality is was a rusty avocado green Kenmore refrigerator) No minnows, no worms! Oh, well, I’ll just go and throw a few spinners and jigs to at least get the fishin’ fever down a few notches. I parked the Jeep, put on my coat, and started up the hollow. The ground was still covered with a blanket of snow and rabbit tracks crisscrossed the open ground as I trudged onward. I climbed the slippery slope of the dam and stood motionless and dejected as I saw the thin covering of ice. It couldn't’t have been more that 1/8” thick but it might as well have been 8’. I didn’t think it had been that cold the past few nights. It was 32 degrees now and getting warmer but I decided not to sit and wait for the Spring thaw.
I returned home, put everything back in the shed, went in the house and baked some cookies.
The cookies didn’t satisfy the fishing fever. Maybe I should have added a few anchovies!
I guess I’ll have to save some money for gas and drive to Wolfe and Menifee counties to the streams that don’t freeze over in the winter. There is a Class I stream I’ve never fished that requires a 1 ½ to 2 mile hike, that harbors native Brook Trout. The stream is said to only average 9” in depth, 12’ max width and in places is completely canopied with rhododendron.

That is my dream for the coming year.
But I’ll still make a few trips to the pond, after ice-out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DUDE!!!! You gotta share your hotspots with me. Woodsy won't mind, I've known him since I was a kid.... Springs coming... Actually today felt like spring.