Sunday, November 4, 2007

COME HERE!!!!!!!




Come Here!!! Come Here!!!

The word “here” is usually drawn out to a resounding Bill Cosby”ish” “HHHeeeeerrrrrreeeee!”
A phrase uttered countless times throughout a typical day in the ol’ Johnson household.
It is a command directed at our son that often times seems to go in one ear and out the other. Other times the words just seem to hover around the room until they finally dissipate into thin air without ever causing the slightest tympanic vibration. My wife and I agree that life would be so much simpler and less stressful if he would just do as we say on the first command, without the repetitious droning of our will against his.
But that seems to be the way of most four year olds, and we realize as parents that we are not alone in all this. The times he follows the instructions on the first prompt are rewarded with praise and thanks.
During these episodes of disobedience and indifference I often find myself reaching a level of frustration, that causes me to step back and take a deep breath and cool my head.
I had an instance of this yesterday that completely turned my head around to see myself in the mirror and realize that my disobedience grieves the One that cares about me the most, in the exact same way.
When I don’t obey the will of the Father, I know that He must feel the same hurt that I feel when my son rejects the direction I offer him. I know that I have rejected direction from God in the past, to follow my own path and now wonder what I could have done differently and where I would possibly be at this point in my Christian life.
I am so thankful we serve a Savior that loves us for what we are and where grace abounds.
So now, every time I have to repeat the phrase” Come Here” , I’ll stop and look at myself and remember the forgiveness in my heart that is there from the One that forgave me.


There is too much love to be shared and too little time to dwell on the negative words that just want to keep us from His joy.

No comments: