Thursday, November 22, 2007

MASCOT'S, CHICKEN'S AND CLOWN'S..OH MY!



Tuesday evening we traipsed off to downtown Ashland for the annual Christmas parade.
This had been the topic of conversation for several weeks; I want to go, I don’t want to go, was about as far as Carson went.
He still has a lot of trouble being in close proximity with any mascots, clowns or ‘big headed’ things. Are we bad, mean parents for prodding him along the sidewalk toward the festivities? He didn’t want to stand on the curb, so we secured a spot about 15’ from the street (well out of range of the constant rain of candy!) and he was semi-satisfied with this. It didn’t keep him from the intermittent “I’m ready to go home, let’s get outta here and I wanna NOW!” He spent a lot of time standing behind us, peering through the crowd and occasionally cracking a smile. Other times he actually let me put him on my shoulders so he could see (and he would invariably spot a giant head, clown, wildcat or chicken from a block away) and immediately demand to get down. The object of his fear would approach and as soon as it passed the 90 degree plane and started moving away he was fine, even laughed. Just as long as it was going away and not toward him. We did notice that he showed little fear of a giant teddy bear and Barney; I guess they posed no threat. The worst was a clown with green hair and a KFC chicken (Cris P. Chicken).

He lasted for an hour and we headed home, well before Santa appeared. We praised him for being so brave and going to the parade and he would have something to share with his classmates tomorrow. He was just a little outside his comfort zone but we were right beside him all the way just to support and calm his apprehensions. We all need that when we even as adults step outside our comfort zones.
I guess I had the same fears as a child also. I did sit on Santa’s lap and tell him what I wanted for Christmas then left with a noticeable wet spot adorning the front of my jeans. I told that little story to Carson last week and friends pull into the drive while we are raking leaves and what do you think was the first thing he said to them? “Daddy peed on Santa’s lap and saw the Batmobile” (another story)
And I do admit that the ‘flying monkeys’ from the Wizard of Oz still creep me out today just as they did 40 years ago.
Overcoming our fears is a huge part of growing up and I guess some of us will forever be child-like in that aspect, we just gotta realize that the Encourager is forever with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

I have to admit that the Big White Furry Monster in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reigndeer used to scare the crap out of me when he popped up from behind the snow hill.

I guess you'll just have to take Carson to Disney and teach him what 'Tough Love' is all about ;-)

Grant said...

Carson refers to hima s "Giant Bear"..watches it over and over and over...even in the Summer.