Tuesday, November 13, 2007

UNRESTRAINED


How did we ever survive to see adulthood?


Many of us older folks bounced around the car as kids, unrestrained, never knowing the inherent dangers we faced. If I recall, our seatbelts were stuffed into the crack of the rear seats and the only time we ever saw them was when we flipped up the seat to search for loose change. We got to ride in the floor, the FRONT seat, and my favorite; over the rear seat on the ledge beneath the window. I would lie there in the big maroon Ford Galaxy on my back pretending I was flying, taking in the sights with my face pressed to the window, watching the scenery whiz by until I became dizzy.
We even got to drive! We sat on Dad’s lap and steered for miles, he would often correct the trajectory by turning the wheel ever-so-slightly with his knees if we started to veer off course.
Kids today will never have those experiences as they are now banished to the backseat to be strapped down in car seats, booster seats and with seatbelts. They will never get to ride beneath the rear glass and stare into space as the car rockets down the highway; they simply sit and watch a DVD!
Whodathunkit?
But, they are safe there in their little restrained world, as they should always be.

Just think how we would feel as Christians if we were able to ride through life unrestrained. We would be bounced, beat and bedraggled. I’m just thankful we have the Holy Spirit to convict us and occasionally “jerk a knot in our tail” as he steers us down life’s highway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did we ever survive????