Saturday, November 17, 2007

MUSTARD SEEDS


It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth is less than all the seeds that be in the earth. But when it is sown. It groweth up and becometh greater than all herbs… Mark 4: 31-32


One little seed can pack so much punch!


I admit..I’m a mustardholic, and have been since I can remember. Mustard has always been my condiment of choice, far surpassing ketchup and mayo. I probably inherited this trait from mom, who said she put mustard on her pizza the first time she ever tried it back in the 50’s.
I love the stuff. I slather it on sandwiches, use for dips, coat chicken and fish for grilling, I add it to a great many dishes I prepare.
I started out with the yellow stuff for years, did'nt know it came any other way. I was a teen before I found brown or Dijon and that only made me crave more. When I traveled I was always in the mustard aisle of the local grocery store looking for strange new tastes. I happened upon a jar that looked like nothing I had ever seen before. It was nothing but little golden seeds packed in vinegar and spices. I still remember the first taste, and that sensation of the ‘popping’ of the seed between my teeth, and the pungent aroma and bite.
My preferences then shifted to the seeded mustards that were so unique and more flavorable. My tastes haven’t changed much over the years except for the fact that I dislike any that is sweetened yet I am still find new exciting forms to try.
I currently have 8 different opened jars in the fridge at the present time thanks in part to my sister giving me a gift pack from the Mustard Museum ( yes it is a real place in Mt.Horeb,(a biblical name)Wisconsin. http://www.mustardmuseum.com/.
My other sister sent me lots of the stuff when she lived in Germany, many of which were contained in squeezable tubes just like toothpaste.
So whether you call it moutarde, senf, or just plain mustard, I promise you I will have the faith to eat it!

No comments: